Edo suspected coronavirus patients that tested negative before , later turn positive after carry out another test

Bello, Benin There is tension at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital as two suspected coronavirus cases previously declared negative turned positive after further test. The development was sequel to the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmation of the death of two patients of coronavirus in Edo and Lagos state on Friday.

According to the UBTH internal memo seen by Daily Trust, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof. Darlington Obaseki, said the management has received conflicting results on the COVID-19 status of two patients in the hospital. One of the patients died while the other is still in the facility.

He said another sample has been collected for confirmation while the patient has been moved to the Isolation Ward for continued management as it awaits the result He said “contact tracing has been commenced for all staff who had direct contact with the patient and terminal disinfection has been mandated for all places the patient was managed,”.

“The patient has continued to improve clinically, vital signs remain stable and his SPO2 has ranged between 92-94 percent”. He enjoined member of staff to remain calm and continue to observe the necessary standard precautions and that there will be regular update as needed. Meanwhile, the Association of Residents Doctors (ARD) after the initial test result of negative, in its updates to members said: “both patients were move to the isolation ward on March 31, based on suspicion of COVID-19.

The message reads, “Samples were sent for PCR at the Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital same day as they were both being managed for medical illnesses; Chronic Kidney Disease and Bronchopnuemonia,”. “The patient with Chronic Kidney Disease unfortunately died this morning while the other is still receiving care. Both results have returned negative for COVID-19,”.

But following the new development, ARD in its update , said “We expect the management to issue a statement on the way forward, as this cuts across all members of staff that have been involved in Management of these Patients”. “We have been informed by the Infectious disease team that new samples (from the patient that is still alive) had been taken and sent out for further investigation,” The association however urged its members to go about their normal duties and continue to maintain high index of suspicion while ensuring standard precautions for all patients.

Drop Your Comments

error: Content is protected !!